Pulse 98.4’s Robert Burns hosts event celebrating football memories
Last week our very own Robert Burns, from the Nugent4Nil junior football show, compered an event down at Barrhead’s Arthurlie Inns to celebrate memories of the beautiful game.
Five figures from the world of football shared three objects each that were reminders of the great memories they had from years of being involved in the sport.
The special guests included Paul McNeill, who featured in the recent SFA video ‘Football Saved My Life’ which has accumulated hundreds of thousands of views, as well as broadcaster turned communications officer Michelle Evans and ex-head of sport at The Herald and Evening Times Stewart Weir.
Ex-ref Des Roache and former Arthurlie manager Sandy MacLean also shared some terrific, and at times moving, stories.
The event was part of Football People fortnight across the country, organised by Football Against Racism Europe (FARE) and Nil by Mouth.
Nil by Mouth Director Dave Scott said: “Junior football is a hugely important part of life in Scotland with the clubs involved being at the very core of their communities.
“We want to use this event to celebrate the positives of Scottish football and are delighted that the event will be part of the Europe wide ‘Football People’ campaign which seeks to harness the power of the sport for good.”
Paul McNeill’s three objects
- An old picture of Love Street,
- Barrhead POTY trophy from his under-16s days
- A Roy of the Rovers book
If you spend five minutes on anything today – make it this.Watch this video and find out how football saved Paul McNeill's life.
Publicado por Scotland National Team em Terça-feira, 25 de Setembro de 2018
Michelle Evans’ three objects
- A photograph of her and Cat Harvey, a friendship formed in football
- The book she wrote about St Mirren winning the League Cup
- A t-shirt made for Partick Thistle’s 2012/13 title win
Des Roache’s three objects
- A kids’ Scotland strip
- A new pair of football boots
- A Renfrew juniors strip
Sandy MacLean’s three objects
- Medal from Arthurlie’s famous 4-0 Scottish Cup win over Pollok
- T-shirt from Largs Thistle’s 2010 cup run
- A newspaper article on Sandy from 1990 that he found in his sister’s belongings after she passed away in 2010
- A signed Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United shirt
- A press pass from the France 98 World Cup
- A football year book from 1935